Sunday 3 June 2012

Project #366 Week 22

It's been a busy week at work, and the weather has been OK for the most part. The only time I've had for me has been in the garden this week.


Sunday 27th May 2012
Did a bit more power-washing and weeding in the garden, and then went down to the fish van for something for dinner. Took this picture of my raised herb bed, which is looking green and lush. You can see Maisie on the tiles, and Ebony's tail in the bottom corner. Every time I work outside I have my two 'assistants' with me to hinder me:-)

Monday 28th May
Have some lovely new 1-2-1 students today. The first one will really suit the Dogme style of working and the second is preparing for his IELTS exam. The afternoon business class wants to do lots of role-plays. I was pleased this morning to see that the roofers have finally turned up to work on the roof opposite. I was beginning to think that they were just storing the scaffolding there!


Tuesday 29th May

On arriving home from work, I was delighted to see our friend B in the garden. He is a carpenter and I presumed that my husband had called him about the mess I had made with the deck. As I caught him before he had done more than look at it, I was able to persuade him to square it off and make the shape more usable. Our kitchen is higher than the garden for some reason, so the deck is necessary, but it would be nice for it to be wide enough to have breakfast out there when we are more than two.


Wednesday 30th May 

Tarte aux fraises
tarte aux abricots
Today two of my colleagues were celebrating their birthdays. Another of my colleagues is married to a French Chef Patissier, so the two lads asked her to order two French tarts to share with the staff:-). As you can imagine, much hilarity ensued. Plenty of double entendres!! The tarts were produced for coffee- time and were delicious- as is everything produced by Guy.


Thursday 31st May
Today the garden smells fantastic because the honeysuckle is in full bloom. I found a bit of it was trapped behind one of the trees, in a dappled patch of sunlight, and couldn't resist the picture.

Friday 1st June 
I had to rush home today so that my husband could take the car on the ferry to the UK. My daughter needed her belongings brought back to the island, although she is planning to stay in London for a little longer. B had finished the new design of my deck and made a lovely job of it, so I decided to paint it white and make it a continuation of the kitchen area. Unfortunately, my helpers managed to escape from the house through an open window upstairs, and came to assist. The result is that Maisie now has white paws, and Ebony has the hump because I shouted at her :-(. In the end they got the message and went to sleep under the trees.
Saturday 2nd June


What a tidy kitchen
A cosy spot for a rest
Did my usual chores today and popped to the gym for a short workout, before meeting my friend for our usual coffee. I put another coat of paint on the new  deck and then sat in the sunshine for a well- deserved rest. It was great to see that the peony in the garden has flowered and is a very different colour from the others.
The peony from the garden

9 comments:

  1. Sue,
    Another lovely post! I am so envious of your herb bed! And two of my favourite things are so prominent this week: tarts and flowers ! :-)
    Your honeysuckle and peony pictures are wonderful!! Might steal them for my folder: wallpaper! :-)
    Thanks for sharing again! Have a great week...

    Mieke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to use my pics as you wish:-)
    Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. It's always nice to get a bit of feedback.
    The tarts were wonderful, although they were the source of lots of jokes about French tarts as birthday presents:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue

    Thanks so much for sharing yet another fabulous post with lots of vibrant images and interesting insights into your life in Jersey. I love the garden pics and yes, I agree- what a beautifully tidy and minimalist kitchen you have! Also, I understand about your little helpers following you around everywhere...I get the same with the chicks who don't leave me alone for a second when I'm in the veggie plot.

    The raised bed herb garden is a great idea and it is lovely to pick fresh herbs to use freely in your dishes. You've done a grand job of painting the decking - looks lovely!

    Re beer to catch snails from last week's posts- how much beer is enough to be effective? My hubby could only donate a small part of his beer, lol, and so don't think the beer did a good job of catching the pests. I may have to buy a bottle of beer just for snail-catching purposes, as I don't want to give up. The resident toad has disappeared temporarily, and so loads of snails are loving my young plants :-(

    The tarts look yummy - I am sure they tasted really good :-)

    All the best

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet. Thanks as always for feedback.
      I used 3 bottles of old beer which my husband won in a sailing race. We don't often drink beer at home and it was out of date :-)It was seriously effective, though- there were loads of the beasties in the bucket after a couple of days.
      LOL- my kitchen doesn't always look so tidy- husband is away bringing daughter's stuff back from Uni, so only me to feed, and cats are done in utility room. That wasn't very tidy!

      Delete
  4. Dear Sue,
    I really enjoying reading your blog:)It charges me with positive energy:)The photos of your honeysuckle and the cosy spot are adorable:))I might probably steal them too:))Looking forward to your next positive and colourful inspiring posts:)))LOL:)
    Buket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome Buket. I was really pleased with the honeysuckle picture. You are welcome to share them. I didn't get to sit for very long in my cosy spot, but it is there for other times when I come home from work and want to relax with a coffee and a good book:-)

      Delete
  5. The poor cats! :) The peony is nice and the deck shape is good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it will seat more people at breakfast time in the summer. The cats were a nightmare. They were asleep when I started- and decided that they absolutely had to come and help :-(
    Looking forward to seeing you soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. whoah this blog is wonderful i love studying your articles.
    Stay up the good work! You realize, lots of persons
    are looking round for this information, you could help them greatly.


    Here is my weblog - http://oafishobjection94.xtgem.com - arigato-japan.net -

    ReplyDelete